Saturday, September 15, 2007

"Pinkberry" Yogurt Recipe

I thought I'd try several recipes to see if I could make a good cup of frozen yogurt in the style of Pinkberry frozen yogurt.















Recipe 1
2 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Greek-style yogurt (nonfat)
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Stir together all the ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour. Then freeze in a commercial ice cream machine for about 30 minutes.

I tried this the other day and I thought it was way to sweet. I had already cut the sugar down from the original recipe. However, I could barely stand to eat it - it was so sweet. The texture was quite creamy, which is unlike the icy texture of Pinkberry style yogurt. The yogurt also does not freeze well. After sitting overnight in the freezer, it became quite hard - definitely too hard to scoop. It would have made a better popsicle.

Recipe 2
2 1/2 cups 2% fat Trader Joe's Greek style yogurt
1/3 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup half and half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients and stir until everything is well mixed. Freeze in a commercial ice cream maker for about 30 minutes.

I tried this recipe last night and it got pretty good reviews from my friends. This recipe comes closer to achieving the icy texture of Pinkberry style soft serve yogurt, since it contains more water from the half and half and milk. I like the sugar level here much better as well. The frozen yogurt was light, refreshing, tangy (but not too sour), and slightly sweet. Because I served this immediately after making it, I was not able to check out its freezing capabilities. I'm guessing that it would become even harder, since it has more water content and still not enough fat. Nevertheless, if you plan on eating it within a few hours, it should have pretty good texture.

Recipe 3
1 quart Trader Joe's Lowfat Organic Yogurt
3 x 2.13 oz Yang Le Duo (yogurt drink)

I have not gotten around to this one yet because I need to buy the yogurt drink. I may be less inclined now since I really like Recipe 2. I'll update this blog entry if I ever make the third one.

2 comments :

  1. So I tried the first recipe since it was so popular on the web but didn't think it was anything close to Pinkberry. Then Larry introduced me to a recipe that used sour cream mixed with yogurt and it tasted a lot more like Pinkberry's! It's kind of gross if you think about it, but it was wonderfully tangy and just a little thicker (less icy) than Pinkberry. I think if I ever try to make it again I'd use non-fat yogurt and low-fat sour cream. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I tried the first recipe since it was so popular on the web but didn't think it was anything close to Pinkberry. Then Larry introduced me to a recipe that used sour cream mixed with yogurt and it tasted a lot more like Pinkberry's! It's kind of gross if you think about it, but it was wonderfully tangy and just a little thicker (less icy) than Pinkberry. I think if I ever try to make it again I'd use non-fat yogurt and low-fat sour cream. =)

    ReplyDelete