Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Sushi Candy

I was inspired by various foodblogs to make some sushi candy last night.
I made rice crispy treats according to the recipe on the Rice Krispies Cereal box. While the marshmallow rice mixture was still hot, I took half of the mixture and individually shaped the nigiri rice pieces. I then took the other half, flattened it onto a cutting board, and used a small cleaned out tomato paste can to cut out discs.

I bought Odense brand marzipan at Shaw's Supermarket ($7 a tube).





I mixed various portions with food coloring and then shaped the ebi, sake, maguro, and tamago pieces. I used a knife to "paint" on a chocolate ribbon for the tamago (egg) sushi.

I also made a green strip out of marzipan as the nori for the maki pieces. The wasabi is also marzipan.

I found marzipan to be pretty easy to use and pretty tasty with the rice crispies. I had seen versions of this dish online that used Swedish fish and fruit roll ups. The idea of eating rice crispies with fruit roll ups or gummies did not appeal to me, so I decided to try this instead.

Yum!

7 comments :

  1. Cute! The tuna and salmon look pretty realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasty, too! Odd how the pictures make the RK treats look white. Remember to coat your hands in oil/butter next time. Or get Bryan to do it; I hear he loves that kind of hand-work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! Candy+Sushi=What more could you want?! Very creative...love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks interesting, but my rice crispies -box doesn't hold a recipe for this, so could you provide a it for us foreign ppl?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stella,
    I used Kellogg's Rice Krispies recipe, which can be found at their website here

    ReplyDelete