Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tiny Urban Tidbits #2

Tiny Urban Tidbits is where I share with you some insights, "tidbits", or just random encounters from the week. I carry my camera with me everywhere I go, and I love capturing photos of interesting things that I discover. These may include new dishes from a restaurant that I've already reviewed, updates on what's going on locally, or encounters I've had in the kitchen. It could even include a beautiful sunset, a funny sign, or just stuff I find amusing. Think of it as snapshots (literally!) of my weekly experiences with food - intertwined with stories, of course.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P1000151
Daniel, New York City

Top 50 Restaurants
San Pellegrino released their annual Top 50 Restaurants this past year.  Number 1 was Noma, a restaurant in Denmark, knocking E Bulli of Spain down to number 2.  Daniel, the highest climber, rose 33 to become 8th.  The French Laundry, the third largest drop, fell 20 slots down to 32.  The entire list can be found here.  A few days later, they released the "bottom 50", in other words, 51-100.

Here are my experiences at some of these restaurants. I do want to note that, out of all my amazing dining experiences this past year, I actually think Daniel was my favorite experience overall, so I'm not surprised that it's doing so well on this list.



Per Se
8. Daniel 10. Per Se
15. Le Bernardin 32. The French Laundry
Joel Robuchon Jean-Georges
29. L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon, France
*post is about the Las Vegas Joel Robuchon
52. Jean-Georges
*linked post is about Market by JG in Boston
* above photo is from JG in NYC

Boston News
CRW_0522
Why I love living next to Harvard Square . . . .
Korean fried chicken place Bon Chon Chicken is moving from Allston to Harvard Square!  And rumor has it that Pinkberry is considering the old Alpha Omega space. Yoberry closed not too long ago, and Berryline has been in Harvard for years. Don't feel like paying close to $5 for some yogurt?  You can always try making your own.
Little Q
And Little Q, my favorite hot pot (shabu) place in Boston, appears to be moving to Chinatown, and (maybe?) Arlington. They were essentially forced out of their Quincy location by the city several months ago. According to their new website, the future location will be in Chinatown (660 Washington St) and will be called "The Q Restaurant."  They're hiring now, so if you're looking for a job . . .

It also looks like a restaurant named "Little Q" is moving to East Arlington, at 196 Mass Ave.  We drove by it the other day on our way to Tango.  So are there really two now?  It's odd how their website does not mention the Arlington location. I even wonder whether the Arlington one is still going to happen.

In any event, more delicious hot pot coming closer to Boston very soon!

Keller vs. The Pioneer Woman?
I read an entertaining article where a mom cooked a traditional fried chicken dinner for her family from both The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond and Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller.  It's interesting to see her family's reaction, especially her kids.

Washington D.C. Mini-Series
DC Cherry Blossoms
Next week, we'll have a mini-series on some really interesting eats in Washington DC!  I was there over Easter for the cherry blossoms and tried some great food, from iconic chili dogs to Belgian moules frites (mussels and fries).  Stay tuned!
DC Cherry Blossoms
That's it folks.  Have a wonderful weekend!

6 comments :

  1. Oh Gosh! I can't wait to find out where you went in DC-- I'm only here for another 15ish days before I move back to Boston, so if there's some place you really liked I haven't been to yet.... Now really is the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually quite confused about the situation with Privus, where I had to run and get my Bonchon fix on Wednesday actually. The FB closing event says Bonchon will be available at Bull, a new Korean restaurant opening in Harvard Sq. It does not say that Privus itself is reopening in Harvard Sq. though. And while I love Harvard Sq. I do not find it a conducive area for night life, which is what Privus caters to. I'll miss my option of late night karaoke at Do Re Mi, bonchon and sushi at Privus, and maybe a ramyun at Myong Dong or Yangnam chicken at Colors. Sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8 out of 50, not bad, I have yet to dine at any of the places on the list, long way to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not even tried half those places you mentioned, though I have been to Do rei Mi, which is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I should start carrying my camera with me anywhere I go, too....there has been LOTS of moments when I just wish I had my camera with me to document something!

    Ah the cherry blossoms in DC! I've been missing it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend sent me that same Keller vs. Ree article! I loved it. And I totally agreed with the findings. I love the process of how Keller cooks and I appreciate food that much more when I go through that process, but I also love simple, homecooked comforts that don't take too much time to prepare, so I reserve the other half of my cooking heart for Ree. Great cherry blossom pics, by the way! Most of ours have fallen from the windy spring storms we've been having!

    ReplyDelete