Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Radish Crostini with Herb Butter

_1040250
I have never been a radish person. In fact, when I was younger, they sort of made me gag almost. I'm not sure if it was the spiciness of it, or something else inherent in the flavor of the root. For whatever reason, I would pick them out of my salads and basically avoid them.

Oh the irony! I sign up for a CSA boxshare that seems to give me radishes week after week after week. First it was the French breakfast radishes, then these hot pink radishes. We even got purple radishes!

Finally, it was time for me to try and appreciate this vegetable that I had been avoiding for so long.

Radish
Having avoided them most of my life, I really had no idea how to prepare them. After talking to a few people and doing some hunting on the internet, I found out that a classic French way of eating radishes is just to enjoy them with some butter and salt. Raw. With some beautiful toasted baguettes.

Alas, I don't live in France, and although I do have access to some beautiful baguettes in Cambridge, I wasn't quite in the mood to step out so early in the morning just to buy some bread.
_1040255
So I improvised and made my own version of the classic French breakfast. Instead of using plain butter, I decided to spread the bread with some herb butter I had made just a few days ago. Add a dash of sea salt and sliced radishes, and you have yourself a very healthy, fragrant, and enjoyable breakfast (or lunch, appetizer, whatever!). I used some toasted whole wheat Nature's Pride bread they had sent me to try out (which was delicious!), but I'm guessing this tastes even better with an authentic French baguette.

Radish Crostini with Herb Butter
French baguette, sliced and toasted (can use other bread too)
herb butter
fresh radishes, sliced
sea salt

Spread herb butter on toasted baguettes. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and top with a few slices of raw radishes.

Serve!
------------------------
Disclaimer: Time to time I receive free products from vendors to review. I do not receive any payment for these posts/reviews. The views expressed in the posts are completely my own. For this post, I received bread from Nature's Pride.

No comments :

Post a Comment