Friday, February 3, 2012

Winter in London



I've mentioned before that my husband travels a lot for work (often resulting in opportunities to eat some fantastic food around the world).

Once in a rare while, the tables will turn and I'll be the one going on a business trip by myself.

This past December, I had the privilege of visiting London and Oxford in early December, smack in the middle of the holiday season. It was my first time staying in the old, beautiful city of Oxford. It was also my first time seeing London filled with Christmas trees, colorful lights, and the hustle and bustle of the holidays.

Here's a sneak peek at some upcoming posts of food I enjoyed in England, as well as just some cool photos of Oxford and London.

Enjoy!

I only had a day in London (my flight was leaving around 7PM that very day!), so I spent most of the day just walking around, soaking in the festive decorations all around me.

The full moon at Piccadilly Circus was awe-inspiring and looked much, much bigger in person.

Preparing for Chinese New Year?
In Oxford, I stayed at the Old Bank Hotel, which is really right in the middle of the city (highly recommended hotel if you ever stay in Oxford!).
Christ Church in Oxford, both a college and a cathedral, has been the filming location of many movies, including Harry Potter and Alice in Wonderland. Doesn't it look almost unreal?

A classic English breakfast, which you see at all the hotels. Blood sausage anyone?
This old, English pub faces the Thames and lives in a historic building that's been around since the 17th century.

A tavern popular with Oxford students where (according to legend) Bill Clinton infamously didn't "inhale".

My only Michelin star experience in London, this a new (2009) restaurant in Kensington serves up French food in an atmosphere it likes to call your "home away from home."
I enjoyed fantastic Spanish Iberico ham from a lovely coffee shop in Soho with a fellow food blogger.

This peculiar Russian restaurant undercuts a lot of high-end restaurants in London by selling their really nice bottles of wine (especially Sauternes) and champagne at crazy low prices.

So classic British!

We will continue our "Winter in London" series throughout the next couple of weeks! Have a great weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment