Sunday, April 7, 2013

Ouch - My Hurting (but Healing) Wrists

Totoro Ice Pack
I was so excited about the Thailand posts right when I arrived back in the US.

Like I said, I couldn't wait to share with you all that I had experienced on my trip.

And then the pain hit.

You see, up until a few weeks ago, I was working like a mad-woman. We had loads of patent applications to file at work (yes, I work as a patent attorney during the day), and I was typing, typing, and typing a lot. I did a lot of repetitive mouse motions as well.

After flying to Thailand, I continued to work long hours, but now in contorted non-ergonomic positions inside the hotel room.

Near the end of the week in Thailand, my fingers started to feel numb. And my wrists really hurt. I could hardly open door knobs. Forget typing or using the mouse.

When I returned to the States, my doctor confirmed my suspicion - I had developed carpal tunnel in my right hand.
Arm brace
I got an arm brace to wear at night, and the doctor told me to ice it daily. Ideally, I would refrain from "the activity causing the pain."

So I rested.

It was hard for me to silence the blog completely, so I just put up fewer posts - mostly photo-intensive posts, since I didn't really want to type or use the mouse too much.

So, I'm sorry if my posts have been a bit sparse lately. I've been trying to rest my wrists, and as a result, staying away from the computer.

Thankfully, after resting for a week or so, I'm starting to feel better. I can sometimes pick up heavier objects now. I'm starting to type again, though not for any long stretches. Slowly, I'm beginning to draft blog posts.

I'm hoping to begin ramping up my Thailand posts again. I still have so much to share, even though I've already been posting for 2 weeks! I promise I'll mix in a few other types of posts here and there, just in case you want some variety.

Thanks for reading, and here's to many, many more posts!

Cheers!
My Photo Stream-969
Jen & Bryan enjoying Easter brunch at The Blue Room

No comments :

Post a Comment