Sunday, November 8, 2009

1 Arrow Street Crepes

Sorry for the dearth of posts the last few days! I attended the 1st Annual Foodbuzz Festival this past weekend. I had a blast, and I will share some thoughts (and pictures, of course!) from that conference once I collect and organize them!
Strawberry Nutella Crepe
The first time I ever saw a crepe was when I visited France in high school during one of those high school exchange programs. My friend and I were walking down a random street in Paris when we spotted a man standing behind a small street cart. He was making fresh hot crepes right on the spot.

He called out, seemingly specifically at us, "Les crepes! Les crepes!"

Then he winked at us.  I was a bit scared, but also intrigued.

I don't think we actually bought any crepes from him that day, but I'll never forget seeing him make those super-thin pancakes and wondering how they would taste.  Having grown up in Ohio with an immigrant family who mostly ate Chinese food, I had never had one before.
Arrow Street Crepe
Man, that seemed like so long ago.  At this point I can't even remember when I finally tried my first crepe.  In any event, now I live next to Harvard Square in Cambridge, a city full of interesting ethnic dining options of all sorts.  This includes my own local creperie just a five minute walk from my home.
Crepes
Arrow Street Crepes is one of the few "French-like" places near my house. It is a fun creperie about a 5 minute walk from the Harvard Square T stop. I'm not sure if it would be considered fully authentic, as the crepes are filled with a melange of creative ingredients, some of which could only be called New American or maybe Californian.  Nevertheless, they have a ton of options (including traditional crepe toppings!) and it's a great, fun little cute place for breakfast, lunch, and definitely dessert!
Spinach, egg, peppers crepe
I enjoyed this breakfast-like crepe named The Eiffel Tower ($8.95). 2 eggs, mozzarella, baby spinach, tomatoes, scallions, red onions, & hot sauce.  Delicious.
Californian Crepe
You can't really tell much from this picture (except that the crepe is nicely thin!), but this is the Californian which includes avocados, fresh mozzarella, basil walnut pesto, turkey bacon, tomatoes, field greens, and Dijon balsamic sauce.
Strawberry Nutella Crepe
Of course, you can't leave a crepe place without getting dessert!  Carnivale ($8.25) which has dark chocolate or Nutella with fresh strawberries.  Of course, without fail, this one was pure bliss.  :)

1 Arrow St Crepes
1 Arrow St
Cambridge, MA 02138
1 Arrow Street Crepes on Urbanspoon

13 comments :

  1. Looks totally yum! I love the design and layout of tinyurbankitchen.com. We only met briefly last night, but I will definitely be following your blog! Can't wait to see your photos from the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love crepes with Nutella. I went to France in high school, and fell in love immediately. When I returned I spent the remainder of the summer making crepes in my kitchen at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look wonderful. And I can't wait to hear about Foodbuzz. I really wanted to go! Oh well. Next year ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi jen! it was so awesome meeting u and hanging out... ur pictures are amazing!!! hope to see ya soon for more yummy eats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. woah, I didnt know Boston had such awesome crepe place. Aight, that's it! I'm gonna visit Boston!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so lucky. I love crepes, too, but I think you could put Nutella on anything and it'd taste great. My favorite combo is with bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh...jealous. Sounds much better than the crepe I experience I had here.

    What isn't better with Nutella? I'm pretty sure I could eat that stuff out of the jar :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmm.. the eiffel tower and californian look so good. well all the crepes look awesome, but it's harder to get good non-dessert crepes here in taipei.... i'm drooling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are beautiful! I'm so glad I got a chance to chat with you at the brunch on Sunday. Hope to see you at next year's Fest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So tasty! I know, I should have hopped a plane and headed down for FoodBuzz! Just too much happening and too close to the return of our vacation this year. I look forward to living vicariously through your posts and pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These crepes look awesome Jen! I had so much fun with you this past weekend! Would love to meet up again one day, have a great week!!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky to have a creperie within walking distance of your house! These look and sound delicious, and not just because I'm hungry for lunch. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on Foodbuzz!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't find your email, but I saw this event and thought you might be interested! MAC and Cheese throwdown! =)

    http://chili-takedown.com/?p=727

    ReplyDelete