Friday, June 25, 2010

Sauteed Beets and Radishes with Dill

_1030913
I have been receiving quite a bit of root vegetables in my farm share lately - multicolored beets, various types of radishes, turnips, and rainbow carrots. I have also been receiving some beautiful fresh herbs, such as cilantro and dill. Having had almost no experience using dill, and hardly any with radishes and turnips, I had been roasting everything in the oven.
_1030816
There's nothing wrong with that. Root vegetables always taste delicious roasted, and you can throw any variety of combinations together and it will still taste pretty good.

But what if you don't want to wait 30-60 minutes for your vegetables to be ready? What if you need to get dinner on the table, fast, and all you have is root vegetables?

Applying Chinese Cooking Ideas
Of course! Chinese people stir fry everything. Why not my root vegetables?

I thinly sliced up my beets and my radishes and then I just simply stir-fried them in butter. I finished my tossing them with some fresh dill, salt and pepper. The results were fantastic! I have never loved the harsh spiciness of raw radishes. The stir frying seems to bring out the sweetness of the root vegetables and tame the harsh spiciness.

Sauteed Root Vegetables with Dill
Thinly slice beets, radishes, or whatever root vegetables you have on hand. Try to make them about equally sized so that they will finish cooking at around the same time. Heat up about 1 T of butter over medium heat until melted. Toss in the vegetables and let cook for about 1 minute. Add about 1 T of water and cover, letting it cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until soft.

Season with salt and pepper and toss with dill.

Serve!
_1030909

7 comments :

  1. FunandfearlessinbeantownJune 25, 2010 at 8:40 AM

    This looks so simple yet tasty and of course vibrant! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you a Siena Farms CSA person? That photo looks JUST LIKE the box I just got...and I'll steal the dill/beet idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pic of the different vegetables...the intertwined carrots are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do that for broccoli and cauliflower, too! I love them roasted, but when I don't feel like waiting an hour or so for them to roast, I just sauté them like so! :-)
    Never tried it with beets though! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello friends,

    This post is very useful and very interesting to read, Really this Post is nice information,Keep it up.

    Web Design Services | Best Web Design | Web Design Services | Good Web Design | Web Site Design Price | Small Business Web Design | Professional Web Development | website design Rates

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, since I just roasted beets and carrots myself b/c that's my usual go-to. This would've been much better, however, b/c it's way too hot in my kitchen to turn on the stove for that long!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. radishes are rarely sauteed, which is too bad. A flash cook with the right combo, they're very tasty. The Red Cat cookbook has a dish with sauteed radishes (don't remember what it is). They use vegetables in unusual ways-tempura green beans-with general success.

    ReplyDelete