Thursday, August 25, 2011

"The Best Guacamole Ever"

Guacamole
Unsettled.

That's probably an understatement of how I have felt the last few weeks. We have been waiting for furniture to arrive, which means more waiting before we can unpack everything else. We're still living out of boxes, finding stuff only when we really need it.

For example, my elusive cappuccino frother still refuses to surface, which means I've been drinking straight espresso for the last two weeks.

It has also been really hard to cook without a kitchen that's completely set up. It's even harder to blog about cooking, which may very well explain the dearth of cooking posts lately.
Guacamole
Yet I feel like I'm running out of time.

The growing season here in Massachusetts is pretty short and August is one of the best months in which to get fresh produce. Typically, I love perusing farmers markets this time of year.

What? It's almost September??! Where did the summer go?

*sigh*

So even though I'm not fully unpacked; even though I'm not sure where all my jars, cans, and other random foodstuff will eventually go; I resolutely decided that I would use the kitchen tonight and try a new recipe that involved lots of vegetables.
Guacamole
My good friend Livia, a avid blogger herself (though not about food), is a New Mexican native. A self-proclaimed "guacamole snob/evangelist," Livia saw my post about an amazingly chunky and simple guacamole I had tried at a restaurant.
Guacamole
This guacamole was a far cry from the creamy, smooth guacamole that you typically see. Instead, it was almost like an avocado salad, filled with generous chunks of avocados tossed lightly with a splash of lime juice, a few tomatoes, and some aromatics. It was refreshingly delicious. Guacamole
Livia was quick to point out to me that she approved of this type of guacamole.  In fact, she doesn't really care for the smooth creamy (almost sour) kind that she often sees outside of New Mexico. Chunky style all the way.
Guacamole
I was thrilled when Livia offered to share with me her recipe for guacamole, which, in her humble opinion, is "the best guacamole ever :)".
Guacamole
Though that email from her is now nearly three years old (I know, time flies, but three years is a bit ridiculous), I am so glad I finally decided to make this. It really is super simple and tastes delicious.

You'll never go back to the "processed" creamy stuff again. :)

Thanks Livia!
Guacamole

The Best Guacamole Ever 
Livia Blackburne
Serves 2-4

2 avocados (Hass preferred)
1 medium sized tomato, chopped
1/8 red onion, finely minced
1 garlic clove, finely minced
juice from 1/2 a lime
cilantro to taste, finely chopped
onion or garlic salt, to taste

With a spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh (medium sized scoops) into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and gently mix the ingredients with a spoon. There is no need to mash the avocados. Instead, as you mix with the spoon, the avocados will become creamy with chunks of avocados mixed throughout.

Enjoy!
Guacamole

No comments :

Post a Comment