Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tea Eggs

Tea Eggs
I love tea eggs. They are hard boiled eggs slowly cooked over low heat in black tea and spices for hours. The resulting egg has a wonderful salty and tea-infused flavor that's addictive. Furthermore, the eggs take on a beautifully intricate web-like design from the tea.
_MG_1466
You can buy pre-made tea-egg packs at Asian supermarkets.  However, my mom has an even easier recipe that still tastes fantastic and requires just a few ingredients you may already have on hand.  Note - if you can't get star anise, you can try substituting with 5-spice powder and/or cinnamon.

For a printable version of the recipe, click here.


Recipe
1 dozen eggs
2 tea bags (I used Lipton's black tea bags)
1 star anise
2 tsp salt

Make hard boiled eggs. There are several ways to make this. My mom recommends filling a pot with 12 eggs and adding enough water to comfortably cover the eggs. Bring to a boil and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then let the eggs cool.

Once cool, lightly tap the egg on a hard surface all the way around the egg. You want to lightly crack the shell but not remove it. The cracks will allow the tea to infuse even more into the egg.

Put the eggs into a clean pot and fill with water, comfortably covering the eggs. Add salt, tea bags, and star anise.
Tea Eggs With Tea Bags
Cook at medium heat for about 30 minutes, and then let soak overnight or let simmer for at least 2-3 hours. Alternatively, you can make this in a crockpot and cook at low setting for 8-10 hours. 
Tea Eggs In Pot
Sometimes, over time, the pot will start to lose water and the tops of the eggs will peek out.  Make sure to turn the eggs around so that all sides get exposed to the tea.

Enjoy!

Tea eggs - close up

Tea Egg and Cucumber Salad

12 comments :

  1. These Tea Eggs totally bring me back to my childhood in Shanghai. My grandma used to make them all the time and we'd eat them for breakfast. SO simple and yummy! I really need to make these myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know how you say "SO simple" when you have to wait overnight to eat?

    its ok to eat eggs that sit overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous - I guess it's simple because the steps are not complicated. It's true, though, you do have to wait. My mom told me letting the eggs sit overnight is OK because they are quite salty. However, if you are uncomfortable with that, you can use a crock pot and cook on low heat for 8 hours and that should work too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the lacy pattern on the eggs. Thanks for the recipe, I didn't realise they were so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I love tea eggs! I just made them the first time but with a special packaged tea egg spice. I think there's more to it than just anise, probably all the five spices out of 5-spice-seasoning.

    the recipe says either let it simmer for at least 2 hours or let it sit (cold) overnight, right?

    I would also add soy sauce (instead of salt) for more taste and color to the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so interesting! I'm definitely going to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished reading the Eggs section of Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking" and he has a whole section on preserving eggs. I've never had these, but Im going to try making them. They look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. as I don't have pre-packaged tea egg spice anymore, I'm cooking it using this recipe here.
    12 rather small eggs, 3 lipton black tea bags, 3 teaspoons of 5-spice-powder, 3 table spoons light soy sauce, 1 table spoon dark soy sauce, 2 table spoons salt (as the sauce didn't seem enough salty). As a special, I added three drops of very hot sauce!
    I'm really curious about the result and can't wait to taste it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yan - that sounds like a great recipe! Hope it turns out. My mom told me that she didn't add soy sauce, so I'm just following her recipe, but I'm sure the soy sauce will add an interesting dimension in flavor. My mom also doesn't eat very salty, which might explain why the eggs might not taste salty enough for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, I'm really sorry for being so rude and just overtaking your recipe here - I've just realized that my posts sound very critical. Be assured that I'm very glad to have found your recipe :-) even though I have changed some little things. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome - I will have to try this - such a wonderful idea, and a great post for the Chinese New Year

    ReplyDelete