Thursday, September 24, 2009

Tomato, Basil, Mozarella and Corn Salad

IMG_1215
Happy Friday everyone!

Though summer has officially ended, we are still enjoying the bounty of vegetables from the late summer harvest. I wanted to share with you the lovely salad I had earlier this week.  It's like a simple chopped Insalata Caprese with corn.  :)  Fresh butter & sugar corn is one of my favorites, and it's totally in season right now.  I love it.

For this salad, since I was eating alone, I just lightly cooked one ear of corn in the microwave using this super easy method.  I cut off the kernels and mixed them with baby roma tomatoes (chopped in half), chopped mozarella, and fresh basil.  In general, for chopped salads such as this one, it's nice to chop the ingredients so that they are similar sizes.  Bite-sized, ideally.

I tossed everything with a few splashes of balsamic vinaigrette and extra virgin olive oil.  I then topped it with a few dashes of sea salt.

It was a wonderful way to experience the fresh tastes of late summer.  The slight sweetness of the balsamic vinaigrette really brings out the flavors in this dish.

Good-by Summer.  I feel like you just arrived and now you are gone.  I'm glad I got to experience so much of your fresh produce from farmers markets this year.  I hope to continue doing so in the summers to come.

Here are the most popular posts this summer (in order of popularity):

Oven to Pan Seared Prime Rib-eye Steak
Prime Ribeye steak from Costco

FroYo (Frozen Yogurt) Popsicles
Froyo Popsicles

Foodbuzz 24,24,24 - Kyaraben On Steroids
Inarizushi and Onigiri

Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Vietnamese Spring Rolls

Enjoy! And thanks so much for reading. :) Looking forward to a great autumn full of yummy food.

4 comments :

  1. i'll have to try adding corn the next time i make a salad like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude! niiiiiiice! looks fresh and refreshing yo! hmmm... I haven't had salad for a long time... hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gawd, the rice balls are too adorable! And your tomato-corn salad looks like a great way to enjoy one last taste of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty salad and lovely ode to the end of summer. Now, on to fall with all of its appley, squashy goodness!

    ReplyDelete