Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm going to Napa Valley!!!!

Napa Valley 1-1
I can't believe it! I have been given the incredible opportunity to attend the 8th Annual S. Pellegrino "Almost Famous" Chef FINALS Competition in Napa Valley next month (March 5-7), thanks to Foodbuzz and S. Pellegrino.  (For those of you who are curious, here is the "winning" entry).  I cannot even begin to express how thrilled I am to be going. They have given me VIP access to the kitchen, where I can rub shoulders with top chefs and food editors from media channels such as Food & Wine and the Today Show. I'm getting nervous already!

I have never been to Napa Valley, although I have always wanted to go.  It really is a food lover's paradise.  Any one have tips for how to land a reservation at the French Laundry?  ;)

I will be blogging and tweeting about this event the entire weekend that I'm there.  Of course, if I happen to try any interesting restaurants, I will share tons of pictures from all those places as well.
No9 Park Collage
 New England Regional Winner
Guess who's representing my region? Peter Clark, currently a student at the The New England Culinary Institute, wowed judges with his pan seared halibut at the New England Regional Competition held right in my backyard at The Cambridge Culinary School of Culinary Arts.

There will be several interesting competitions.

The Mystery Basket Competition
Each competitor must transform a set of mystery ingredients into a delicious entrée in two hours or less. The winner receives $3,000.  This competition will be streamed live here on March 6, 2010 at 2PM EST.

The Signature Dish Competition
Competitors will prepare their signature dishes, with the help of an appointed sous chef, for 200 VIP guests at a gala dinner. The winner receives $3,000.  Gala participants will also vote on their favorite chef.  This winner will also receive $3000. This competition will be streamed live here on March 7, 2010 at 8pm EST.

Fan Favorite Award.
YOU can get involved! All online viewers can vote to choose one culinary student to receive the Fan Favorite Award.  This recipient will also receive $3000.   

FINALLY . . based on the activities of the entire weekend, an over all winner will be crowned.  This winner will receive $10,000 along with a coveted one-year paid internship with one of the judges.

_1010854-1
Thank you so much, Foodbuzz and S. Pellegrino for this amazing opportunity. I can't wait! Stay tuned!

25 comments :

  1. Soooo exciting! When are you here? I want to drive up to Napa to see you. Is Bryan coming with you?

    Ahhhh! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations! Can't wait to see your photos! For French Laundry reservations, if you know anyone with a Platinum Amex, their concierge can try phoning it in. You can also try calling in (or walking in) to see if anyone has canceled or if there's a waiting list.
    We also had a great time at Bottega.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness....I am green with envy! I cannot wait to read all about it and wish i was there!

    p.s-i have a french laundry connection

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome news! You make me want to become a food blogger now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How awesome! Lucky you! Napa is so beautiful any time of year, but it will be really nice in March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hearty congrats to you and brava on your entry - it was grand. I can safely say: "You'll have the time of your life."

    ReplyDelete
  7. How absolutely fun and exciting! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your title caught my attention when I was scheming through the headlines of foodblogs... and that led me to your site...
    Even if this is my first time tp be here, I want to jump for joy with you... I might as well click the follow button and on twitter because I want you to take me with you to Napa Valley through your post!
    looking forward to hear about your adventures... enjoy!

    malou

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, for French Laundry, I heard you'd have better luck with lunch (that cancellation thing "high low" was talking about.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sooooo happy and so jealous!!!! congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so thrilling!! Can't wait to hear all the details, I too have never been to Napa. Do you have an AmEx card? Their concierge service might be able to get you into French Laundry. Please give me a shout if you don't and I can call for you and see :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! If you can't get into French Laundry both of Thomas Keller's other restaurants are worth a trip...love Ad Hoc and Bouchon is great too, especially their French Fries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!!! You will have so much fun! I can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, how exciting!! Napa is amazing, my aunt lives there and I was able to go visit once. I think getting into French Laundry is like a multiple month long waiting list, but who knows, right?! cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats - I thought your entry was one of the best ones I read so well deserved!!! Can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. zomg! That's sooooo awesome!!! Remember me when you're a famous food blogger, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You guys are all so kind! Thank you for your encouraging words. I can't wait to share my trip with you!

    lindseymeyer - yes, I think Bryan will be coming with me. I'll let you know my schedule once it's confirmed. We could do a Northern CA blogger meet-up!

    Blair- you lucky! You have a French Laundry connection! Have you been there? Any way you could hook me up? :)

    high low and mari -thanks for the tip about lunch. Maybe I'll try that.

    Anonymous - yeah, I may try another Thomas Keller restaurant if I can't get into French Laundry

    marla - I don't have a Platinum Amex, although we have a normal Amex. I guess we could try using that . .

    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Lady!! I saw your pic on the foodbuzz ad and screamed when I saw your pic! I can't wait to hear about your experience Jen! You so deserve this!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome awesome awesome!! Such amazing news!!! If you do hit French Laundry, friends who went said try for lunch reservations, as that's the best chance of getting a table. But if you can't make it there, Bouchon and Ad Hoc are there as well. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jen, Just read the AMAZING news! I am thrilled for you! I can't wait to hear about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is absolutely incredible -- congratulations! Hope to see you out here next month.

    ReplyDelete