Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Simple White Bean Dip

_1010622-1
This is so easy, I almost wonder whether I need to put the recipe up.

I was feeling peckish after lunch the other day. I hate eating unbalanced meals. Unfortunately, all I had at home were pasta leftovers from Basta Pasta Cambridge. As much as I love that restaurant, I do wish they were more healthy - or at least balanced.

Anyway, I only allowed myself to eat half of the leftovers, since the dish was like 95% carbs.

Of course it wasn't enough food.

And I was hungry.

But I didn't want to eat MORE carbs! My pants were already a bit tight from the gorging I had done over Christmas in California and also in Las Vegas in the past few weeks.

So I rummaged around the empty cupboard, and found a can of beans.

Beans have protein right? Wouldn't they be considered a "meat"?

In any event, I quickly whipped up this dip and was surprised how flavorful it was! The combination of garlic, lime juice, oregano, salt & pepper combined with the white beans creates a simple, flavorful dip.

These go great with homemade pita chips!
It was the perfect answer to my not-so-satisfied stomach.

Simple White Bean Dip
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves (optional)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Combine everything beans, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and (optionally) parsley in a food processor and pulse to desired consistency.  I made mine pretty smooth - it took about a minute.  Add salt, pepper, and oregano to taste.

Serve!

2 comments :

  1. this is one of my favorite things to make. I usually use rosemary since we have a giant bush of it in the yard. I agree--it's totally satisfying and very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you put it up! I always have cravings and bean dip is an easy way to satisfy them (and easy to make apparently). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete