Sunday, June 21, 2009

Casa Romero

Casa Romero is a more upscale Mexican restaurant in back bay near the Prudential Center. We love coming here for their Early Bird special, which is an incredible value. As long as you order before 6pm and leave by 7pm, you can enjoy a 3-course prix-fixe menu for only $21.95. Considering that most of the entrees are around $20, this is a great value.

We thought the chips and salsa were OK. My favorite chips are still the ones at Cantina Le Mexicana, which are covered with unique spicy sauce that I've never seen anywhere else before. I personally thought the salsa was a bit salty and lacked depth compared to other salsas I've tried.

Bryan ordered the shrimp flautas as his appetizer. Although he said they were good, he admitted that he liked the flautas at Cantina Le Mexicana better. Hmmm . . I'm seeing a trend here.

I ordered the special of the day: garlic mushroom cream soup, which was very flavorful. I really liked it, and I don't think I've ever had this soup at any other Mexican restaurant before.

Bryan orderted the special for his entree: Stuffed Squid. Juicy, balanced, and flavorful, this dish was well made.

I always get the Grilled Marinated Vegetables Served with a Guajillo Sauce when I come here. They grill the vegetables perfectly. Plus, the dish is light, healthy, and really tasty. The spinach and cheese quesadilla is also good.

Dessert! The best part! I love flan, and this flan did not disappoint. The burnt sugar sauce surrounding the flan was deeply flavorful, and I found myself licking the sauce even after I had finished the flan.
The ice cream was nothing special - ordinary vanilla ice cream with Kahlua on top. It tasted fine, but nothing extraordinary.

Over all, I think Casa Romero is a solid restaurant. It offers some more creative options that you won't typically find in a more casual Mexican restaurant. I'm not sure how I would feel about this meal if I had paid the regular dinner price. In that case, I would possibly just opt to go to Cantina Le Mexicana instead. Nevertheless, if you are in the area, it's worth checking out.

30 Gloucester St
Boston, MA 02115-2509
(617) 536-4341
Casa Romero on Urbanspoon

No comments :

Post a Comment