Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Taiwanese Meat Sauce over Rice (lo bah png)

_MG_1448

"Lo bah bng," a meat sauce made of ground pork cooked in soy sauce with shallots and spices, is very classic Taiwanese home cooking. Whenever I have this, I am reminded of the food my mom used to make.

It's surprisingly easy to make - just takes time on the stove.

This recipe is adapted from Homestyle Cooking of Taiwan by members of NATWA


Ingredients
2 dried black mushrooms
5 shallots, minced
1/2 lb ground pork
1 t rice wine
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups water
1 t sugar
1/2 t 5-spice powder
6 cups rice (cooked)

Soak the mushrooms in hot water until soft. Meanwhile, mince the shallots. I used a food processor, which made it a lot easier. When mushrooms are soft, slice them into thin pieces.

Add 1 T of vegetable oil to a wok and put on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add shallots and stir fry for about 1-2 minutes, until they start to brown a lot.

Add mushrooms and ground pork. Stir fry until the pork is cooked. Add rice wine, soy sauce, water, sugar, and 5-spice powder.

Let it simmer for 1 hour.

Ladle out the meat mixture and pour over rice.

There will be a lot of excess liquid. Leave that in the pot. You can optionally mix the meat sauce together with rice as well and garnish with some scallions and red pepper flakes.



11 comments :

  1. Do you think you could throw in some peeled hard boiled eggs into the braising liquid to make lu dan while you're at it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think you could throw in some peeled hard boiled eggs into the braising liquid to make lu dan while you're at it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm . . that's a great idea! I think I'll try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm . . that's a great idea! I think I'll try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! It'd be great if you made your recipes available in "printable format" too (w/o pictures). the pictures do look yummy though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into that as my next big project. It will probably be labor intensive, but I think well worth the effort. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is my chinese food craving! Its like the ultimate comfort food (for me) except the ones i've found available in paris aren't as good as my grandma's. time to figure out how to make it, thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There used to be this joint across from campus that sold the best Taiwanese ground beef with rice and I loved it - I should try out this recipe... looking at your pictures is very nostalgic of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! So I know this comment is coming a bit late, considering your post is like.. a year old, but i'm going to be using this recipe tomorrow! :D i'm doing a test-run for a fundraising event! (: thanks so much! it looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete