Monday, March 15, 2010

Bouchon

Bouchon Yountville take away
I still can't believe that my hotel room in Napa Valley was within walking distance of Bouchon, Ad Hoc, and the French Laundry!  Not to mention other amazing one-star Michelin restaurants such as Redd and Bistro Jeanty.
Bouchon Yountville
We woke up early on Saturday morning, walked five minutes down the road, and sauntered into Bouchon bakery for breakfast.  I'm so jealous of people who live in places like New York City or Las Vegas where they can do this everyday.
Bouchon Bakery
OK, I confess -"saunter into Bouchon" was inaccurate.  There was this crazy line out the door of the tiny little bakery.  But the line moved fast, and soon we entered!


Bouchon Yountville
Baked goods galore!
Bouchon Yountville bread
Beautiful, perfectly formed loaves of bread.
Bouchon Yountville
Daintily wrapped cookies and snacks.  Hey wait . . . those cookies look like the ones we got from the French Laundry at the end of our meal.  More on that later!
Bouchon Yountville kitchen
I took a quick peek into the baking area, but there wasn't much going on since everything appeared to be baking inside the ovens.
Bouchon Yountville
What to choose? Look at all those macarons on the top shelf!
_1020329-1
doughnut with chocolate sprinkles, pecan sticky bun, bacon and maple scone, pain au chocolat, brioche

We chose an assortment of baked goods and everything tasted delicious. Among our favorites? The pain au chocolat, which was was filled with high quality, dark chocolate.  I liked how the chocolate was more solid -- not too gooey, not too sweet. The pastry was light, delicate, and flaky. I also loved the bacon scone. Though it was filled with savory bits, it seemed to be brushed with a microthin layer of sugar on the outside.  The result?  A crumbly scone that's so slightly sweet but salty at the same time.  Loved it.
Bouchon macarons
Enjoying an espresso and a Bouchon vanilla macaron on your hotel balcony for breakfast?  Priceless.
-------------------------
Other posts from the Napa Valley Series
Welcome Reception
Mystery Basket
Signature Dish Competition
Del Dotto Caves / Winery
Antica Vineyards

12 comments :

  1. I think I've been to Bouchon before.... :D It was hard to choose...anything! So much good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bouchon in NYC, especially the Nutter Butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bouchon! Staying in Yountville is so fun...we went a year ago and had the best time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Yountville! Isn't it amazing the number of great restaurants within that square block?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, what are the other pastries? Does the one on the top left have currents on it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing. I agree with what you say about other cities. We don't get high quality bakery stuff here! We have our options, but nothing at the high-end level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was absolutely, positively the best way ever to begin my morning. I stopped by to say hello and stayed much longer than I planned. I really like your blog and will be back often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have been in that huge line I saw there a week ago. heehee. My fave is that chocolate ball-topped donut. But then again, I can't resist ANYTHING at Bouchon Bakery. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure whether I'm glad or sad that I don't live so close to the bakery.

    Glad my wallet and body fat is where it is, sad that I'm not close enough to taste those pastries :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Priceless indeed. Can't wait to try Bouchon Bakery in NYC in May and then will attempt to get my brekkie here in August!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those must be the most beautifully displayed macarons I have ever seen. Wow. What a wonderful trip you had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wowwww. Those are super cool. I dig the one that's all beady on top.

    ReplyDelete