Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dragon Fruit (pitaya)

Dragon Fruit
Have you ever seen a dragon fruit?  This exotic, beautiful fruit, also known as the pitaya, actually comes from a cactus plant.  I saw this on the streets of Chinatown in New York this past weekend.  Even though I had no idea what it was, I was drawn to its exotic and beautiful color.

I had to buy one.
Dragon Fruit
After doing some research, I realized that this stuff is truly a superfood.  Not only is it low in calories and high in fiber, it's packed with vitamins and antioxidants.  Studies have confirmed the idea that has been floating around for awhile, that dragon fruit actually helps lower blood glucose levels in those with hyperglycemia (elevated glucose levels).  Furthermore, Anand-Swarup et al demonstrated in rats that dragon fruit "increased the oxidative defense and protected aorta from hyperglycemic damage in rats in whom diabetes was induced."
Dragon Fruit
Because it's a tropical fruit (native to Central America but widely grown in Southeast Asia), dragon fruit is relatively rare in the East Coast.  Even in Chinatown, I paid $7 for the one fruit!

How to Eat a Dragon Fruit
A dragon fruit is ready to eat when the skin yields slightly when pressed, similar to a mango.  It tastes better when chilled, so I put mine in the refrigerator overnight.
Dragon Fruit
First, cut the dragon fruit in half.  So pretty!  Looks like cookies & cream ice cream inside!
Dragon Fruit
Slice it up, and you can eat it plain if you want. The flavor is rather light and a bit bland.  It's mostly water inside (after all, it is a cactus fruit!).  You can eat the seeds.  It's similar to a kiwi in some ways, but much less tart, much less sweet, and much less flavorful over all.  The flesh is pretty soft, soft enough to scoop with a spoon.
Dragon Fruit
I found that it tasted much better if I just tossed the cubes with a bit of lemon juice. I squeezed half a lemon over the entire bunch.  I also added just a tiny bit of sea salt to bring out the flavor (don't add too much or else it begins to taste kinda salty!).  I actually bet it would taste fantastic if mixed with other fruits in a fruit salad.  It would present beautifully as well.
Dragon Fruit
It's refreshing, light, and for some reason, I feel really good after eating it.  Maybe it's part-psychological, but I feel really healthy - well hydrated, full, and satisfied.

It's not the most flavorful of fruits, but it's super healthy, fights a myriad of diseases, and is just so pretty to look at!
Dragon Fruit

23 comments :

  1. That is gorgeous. I love dragon fruit. I always eat it plain. I should try it with lemon juice and salt next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I really miss this fruit here. I love the red type. I just eat it plain too. My friend made a very lovely red drink out of it...beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The red variety tastes better as they tend to be sweeter than the white variety. Here in Singapore, they are sold almost all year round.

    There's another exotic one called snake skin fruit that is wonderful as well, crunchy and sweet with a tang of sour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dragon fruit! I used to think it looked really weird, but ever since I tried it, it's a permanent item on my fruit salad each time we have a potluck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I'm in Chinatown I always see these little suckers but never knew what they were. And now I do!

    Thanks for enlightening me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a fun post! I've never had dragon fruit, but want to now! I am the health blogger for Glamour magazine. I'd love to post this, with a photo and link on my blog for Glamour tomorrow. I'll give you attribution for the photo, and send some traffic your way. hope that's OK! :) Thank you. (Such a pretty blog you have, by the way!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your comments! Maybe I'll have to seek out a red one next time!

    Sarah Jio - you're welcome to post a picture and a link back to my blog. Please do not copy the entire text of this post though. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos!

    Dragon fruit is so strange, but so pretty! The first time I bought one was, I admit, just because it was so gorgeous. Great idea to put them in a fruit salad - they would look lovely, wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not tried dragon fruit yet that's why I got very curios about this one. I didn't know how healthy this is until i read this blog (thank's to you!) I want to have some of this and will probably try it with lemon and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful display of dragon fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pics! But OK, I must ask: Do you think dragon fruit really has much flavor? I've only tried it once. And while I love the exotic look of the fruit, I have to admit I was disappointed by the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute cookie and cream analogy.

    This sounds like a papaya to me. I find papaya to be too bland to fully enjoy on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fact that I can find dragonfruit any time of year, and in practically every market, is one reason I'm happy to have moved from Indiana to Thailand! If you want a really pretty (and delicious) fruit salad, try putting diced dragon fruit & mango with some quartered strawberries. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love dragon fruit! It is one of those mysterious fruits that my mom just to served me when I was little and I have just kept on loving it ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Dragonfruit! It looks like a strwaberry with all of the color drained out of it. It's so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally agree with your assessment. Dragon Fruit doesn't have much of a taste but being Asia my family loves eating. My Father in law even has a plant in his back yard. The cactus doesn't have any thorns and grows unwieldy if left unattended.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a cool looking fruit. I used to play restaurant city in facebook and wonder if that was actually real. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just saw for the first time my first Dragon Fruit here in Denver at an Asian market. $15 for one. I kind of wish I had bought one, but I had no idea what to do with it. I appreciate your post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful fruit!! I've never seen one before but would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for posting this! I read this days ago and meant to comment and am just getting around to it now. Dragon fruit is gorgeous--I've only seen photos of it but am sure I could find it in Chinatown here in SF. It's really one of the prettiest fruits I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We ate a LOT of dragonfruit in Laos last summer - both the white and red ones. They are especially beautiful in smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous photos! They really range. It's hard to find flavorful ones in the US, but in Asia, they can be quite sweet. Sometimes, you can get a good one here if you're really lucky, but they are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete