Thursday, March 4, 2010

Leaving On a Jet Plane . . .

Napa Valley 1-1
I'm packing for Napa Valley as we speak, and soon I will step onto a plane to San Francisco en route to Yountville (home of all those Thomas Keller restaurants!) to attend the 8th Annual S. Pellegrino "Almost Famous" Chef FINALS Competition in Napa Valley.

I wonder how those chefs are feeling right now?  They must be really nervous, and excited at the same time, I'm sure!

I really hope I do the event justice.  I hope I'll be able to capture some great moments and also effectively describe the event to you all.  :)  This is really my first time as a "journalist." Luckily, Bryan is coming with me to help out, and he's bringing an entire bag of camera equipment (yay for husbands who love photography).

I will be tweeting and updating my facebook fan page throughout the day, and will try to update the blog as much as possible, but most likely it will be once a day.

Click here if you want to follow my tweets!

Here's a recap of the events.  You can also follow along LIVE on the internet.
Pastor Chuck's Garden Bounty
Saturday: The Mystery Basket Competition
Each competitor must transform a set of mystery ingredients into a delicious entrĂ©e in two hours or less. The winner receives $3,000.  This competition will be streamed live here on March 6, 2010 at 2PM EST (11 AM PST).
P1000146
Sunday: The Signature Dish Competition
Competitors will prepare their signature dishes, with the help of an appointed sous chef, for 200 VIP guests at a gala dinner. The winner receives $3,000.  Gala participants will also vote on their favorite chef.  This winner will also receive $3000. This competition will be streamed live here on March 7, 2010 at 8pm EST (5PM PST).

Fan Favorite Award.
YOU can get involved! All online viewers can vote to choose one culinary student to receive the Fan Favorite Award.  This recipient will also receive $3000.   

FINALLY . . . based on the activities of the entire weekend, an over all winner will be crowned. This winner will receive $10,000 along with a coveted one-year paid internship with one of the judges.

I will be staying in Napa Valley one extra day to check out some vineyards and restaurants.  Any one have suggestions for favorites?  This will be my first time there.

Other stuff
Oh, and guess what? I was attending a concert at Club Passim in Harvard Square earlier this week when
 I noticed my phone buzzing.  When I glanced at the caller ID during the break and noticed that it said YOUNTVILLE, I almost fell out of my chair.  I leaped out of my chair and ran outside - yeah, in a T-shirt with the snow falling on me as I desperately tried to call back The French Laundry.

That's right!  I scored reservations at the French Laundry!!!!! I've been on the waiting list for a month (since I found out I was going to Napa), and they just called me this week!  Woo hoo! I'll totally be sharing that meal with you guys as well.

Stay tuned!
_1010854-1
Thank you so much, Foodbuzz and S. Pellegrino for this amazing opportunity.

9 comments :

  1. Were you at one of the Girlyman shows!? I assume so. JEALOUS. Girlyman and a call from the French Laundry? Amazing night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels to you and Bryan. Looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. coset - Yes! I was at one of the Girlyman shows. They are really really talented!

    Linda, Talida - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so excited for you! mike chu recommended prager if you like port and we had a great tour at domaine chandon. gotta hit bouchon bakery, too! and in-n-out, just cuz you're in california. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read your posts and tweets! Have a safe flight and enjoy the French Laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So well deserved! Cannot wait to read all about it and especially the French Laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read your review of French Laundry!

    ReplyDelete