Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Dave's Fresh Pasta

Dave's Fresh Pasta
We had a freak warm spell a couple weeks ago.  It was seventy degrees in Boston and it really felt like the entire city was outside soaking in the sun.  Especially after we had all been literally soaked by inches and inches of rain just a few days before.

On days like that I love love love sitting outside and enjoying a relaxing meal.

Two Saturdays ago, I was able to do just that.  I sat outside my favorite lunch spot in Davis Square, soaking up the sun, and enjoying great conversation.

So what exactly makes Dave's Fresh Pasta so cool?
Dave's Fresh Pasta
First of all, they make good sandwiches. They have a lot of different fresh baked breads and a nice variety of ingredients.  I probably still like the sandwiches at Hi Rise Bakery better, but these are cheaper, bigger in size, and still very good.
Sandwiches
Check out some of the pre-made sandwiches in their counter!
Proscuitto mozarella arugula
The sandwich menu is huge, and frankly, a bit overwhelming if it's your first time there.  I was surprised at the variety of vegetarian options.  I chose a portabella, mozarella, and arugula sandwich, which I asked them to grill for me.
Turkey and carmelized onions
My friend got this beautiful sandwich filled with spinach, grilled onions, and turkey.
Muffuletta
My other friend got the muffuletta.  I had never heard of this type of sandwich, so I decided to do a bit of internet research.  Apparently, muffuletta is actually a type of Sicilian bread, characterized by its large, round shape.  A classic muffuletta sandwich is made with an entire muffuletta loaf sliced in half.  It's filled with olive salad, cheese (such as provolone and emmentaler), and a variety of cured meats such as capicola (cured pork shoulder or neck), salami (cured sausage), and mortadella (bologna with cubes of pork fat added).  Usually they are quite large and sandwich shops will sell slices of them.  This one was HUGE!
Mini muffins
What's cool about Dave's Fresh Pasta is that it's not only a sandwich shop, it's also a little neighborhood market that carries a lot of fresh produce, wine, cheese, and, of course, fresh homemade pasta!
Cheese
It was here that I found the delicious, local burrata made by Fiore di Nonno.  They have a bunch of other great cheeses as well.
Lobster Mushrooms
They also sell a really unique assortment of local produce. Check out these lobster mushrooms from Maine!
Fresh pasta
Of course, I always getting fresh pasta when I come here.  If you've been reading this blog even for a short while, you'd know that Bryan loves fresh homemade pasta.  They have many different types here, and they are all very good.

Plus, they have a lot of cool community events, such as pasta making classes, cooking classes, and wine tastings.

If you're in Davis Square, you should definitely check this place out.  The sandwiches are good, and the shop is super fun to explore!

Dave's Fresh Pasta
81 Holland St
Somerville, MA 02144
Dave's Fresh Pasta on Urbanspoon

6 comments :

  1. MMM now those are sandwiches!! it's definitely hard to find those in taipei, much less cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at those succulent sandwiches! Fresh pasta, cupcakes, and cheese? I think I could make a second home at Dave's Fresh Pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOOOOVE your blog! I was so tickled when I went on tastespotting and saw some familiar mini cupcakes! (I thought to myself, I bet that's tinyurbankitchen...) I live in Davis and Dave's is the best, especially during the months without farmers markets! I love going and getting stuff I've never heard of for a kitchen challenge later in the night. Keep bloggin', neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this place relatively new to Davis Square? I used to live not far away in Medford and I've visited several times since I left - the last one a year and a half ago - and I never saw this place. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I was ecstatic to stumble onto your blog today from foodgawker. I'm getting ready to relocate to Boston (Cambridge area) in July for work and have never even visited the city. Your tales of the city is a wonderful find and your blog is awesome. :) Though i fear the winter there having never lived in NE before, I'm excited to experience a new city. This is going to provide a great head start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum - these sandwiches remind me of the muffaletta we had in New Orleans - of full of filling! My favourite type!

    ReplyDelete