Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Redd

_1020357-4
I'm still floored by the concentration of world class restaurants on this one street in Yountville.  Redd, which is right next door to Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc, is no exception.

Executive chef Richard Reddington worked at a number of prestigious places before opening Redd in Napa Valley in 2005. Example include Restaurant Daniel in New York, Spago in Los Angeles, Masa in San Francisco, Michelin 3-star L'Arpège in France, just to name a few.  Like most restaurants in Napa Valley, his style is a contemporary interpretation of wine country, with a focus on fresh, local ingredients.  Of course, the wine selection is fantastic.
Redd
We loved our lunch, which was actually reasonably priced.  Each of the dishes ranged between $13-$14 - a great deal for such amazing food.*  Did I mention this restaurant has one Michelin star?

Incredibly fresh fish, a delightful mix of tastes and textures -- Richard Reddington is a genius when it comes to food, and we absolutely loved everything we had here.  Definitely worth a visit!

Here are our dishes!
Tartare
Yellowfin tuna and hamachi tartare, avocado, chili oil, fried rice - $13
I loved how the tartare had crunchy fried rice kernels that really provided a contrast in texture to the soft, raw fish pieces.  Heavenly!!
_1020351-1
Sashimi of hamachi, sticky rice, edamame, lime ginger sauce - $14
The raw hamachi was top notch, and Richard Reddington's interpretation had hints of Asian flavors, such as the sticky rice, edamame, and ginger.
Cilantro Flower
Simple elegance.  Look at the care and attention to detail that go into even their garnishes.
Scallops
Caramelized diver scallops, cauliflower purée, almonds, balsamic reduction - $14 for appetizer portion
I ordered this dish and it was AMAZING!!  The scallops were perfectly seared (see also first picture of the post).  I don't generally like raisins in my food, but for some reason it worked here. The interplay of the sweet raisins, roasted cauliflower, and crunchy almonds paired perfectly with the succulent scallops. Divine dish.
Duck Spatzle
Crisp duck confit, lentils, foie gras meatballs, sherry vinaigrette - $14
This dish was also very good, with homemade spaetzle, duck sausages, and duck confit.  Though it was good, we both liked my scallops better!
Redd Dining room
The space is modern, elegant, and gets tons of light (perfect for food photography!).  Service was impeccable, and the ambiance was relaxed and enjoyable.

Oh, and how could I forget!  You can take a bag of Saltine Toffees to go for only $10!
Redd Saltine Toffee
I highly recommend this place.  We had a wonderful time.  Thanks Foodgal for the recommendation!

Other posts from the Napa Valley Series
Welcome Reception
Mystery Basket
Signature Dish Competition
Del Dotto Caves / Winery
Antica Vineyards
Bouchon Bakery
The French Laundry

Redd
6480 Washington St
Yountville, CA 94599
REDD on Urbanspoon

*The scallops appetizer portion is $14 but they were willing to make a meal sized portion (4 scallops instead of 2) for an additional charge.  Unfortunately, I lost the receipt so I can't remember how much it was, but it likely could have been almost double

9 comments :

  1. Wow, the food does look fantastically fresh...I can't believe the price, too! What a great bargain. The scallops are almost hopping from plump freshness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am loving each and every one of your napa posts! one of my best friends will be moving to san fran in the fall so i am busy scheming up my dream trip. i am using your entries as a guide!
    oh and you totally lost me at "fois gras meatballs..." wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing lunch! The scallops especially look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying a little here--I want that hamachi!!

    Your posts are a great reminder we need to get up to Yountville for a weekend trip soon. It's unbeatable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you loved Redd so much. Ahh, those pictures of the hamachi dishes have me salivating all over again. That dish was among my faves when I ate there awhile back. Glad to hear the restaurant is still top-notch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip; springtime is so lovely in wine country. I need to plan a day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I have not been here before, I'll have to bookmark it now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only does the food look amazing but WOW - the photos here are stunning... Love that it's luxury but affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we so wanted to eat her last time but it was all booked..def. will try in the future!

    ReplyDelete